Tuesday, October 7, 2008

From Iceland with Love

Last night, Sigur Ros played at the Arlene Schnizter Concert Hall in Portland. I bought Zach tickets for his birthday. Let's get out the bad stuff first:
1. I had no idea there was an opening band.
2. I had no idea the opening band was named "Parachutes."
3. I figured "Parachutes" was a Sigur Ros album? I didn't really even question it.
4. I bought a Parachutes poster. Turns out.... they suck.

Good stuff:
1. Sigur Ros was amazing and captured my attention for the entire set.
2. Playing electric guitar = cool. Playing electric guitar with a bow = extremely cool. Playing electric guitar with a bow, while wearing a French Regent Jacket = AMAZING. This really put the show over the top for me. I am very biased toward French Regency fashions. Especially a punked out militia jacket. It just would not have looked as cool if he was in normal clothes.
3. The lighting and visual effects. They fit with the songs so well and was just spectacular to watch.
4. Confetti - I know I'm a nerd, but it almost had a Gladiator-esque feel when they shot confetti into the entire hall on their last song.
5. Acoustics - Seeing a show like this in a hall where the Oregon Symphony plays is not only visually appealing, but the sound was amazing and made the show ten times better.

No comments: