Saturday, June 14, 2008

Family Biography: Erma DeVries - Grandma

I have taken upon myself to create an autobiography of sorts from my entire family. I'm so intrigued to know about their past and about where we came from. The information is slow in coming, but I have gotten both of my grandma's stories. From my paternal grandma, I got a whole bunch of photos from her childhood - which was very exciting! I'm looking forward to getting old photos from my other grandparents and family members as well.
Erma Helzer/DeVries
This photo was taken of my grandpa in a photo booth. She had quite a few of these little wallet photos that you would pay a few cents for. This is one of my favorite photos from the collection I got from her. She was born in Portland, and grew up camping alot and vacationing at many places we still go today. A major summer tradition for her family was going to Rockaway Beach for a week. Below is another photo I love because it's such a classic road trip type of photo from that time, and also because it was taken at the lookout point over Manzanita - one of my favorite lookout points on the Oregon Coast. (My grandma is the girl on the very left)

3 comments:

Shyla said...

That top photo looks like a little Jill! :)

I cant wait to see the rest of the biographies!!
yay for me.

Kristin said...

That's what Zach said! She does, doesn't she? It's crazy... Yeah I'll have to post some excerpts or something at some point :)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.